Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 27 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 27 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
worried over tia running off. Vote_lcapworried over tia running off. Voting_barworried over tia running off. Vote_rcap 
Sandra
worried over tia running off. Vote_lcapworried over tia running off. Voting_barworried over tia running off. Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

worried over tia running off.

Go down 
+2
Steffie
halfpint-tc
6 posters
AuthorMessage
halfpint-tc

halfpint-tc

Female
Number of posts : 312
Rep : 4
Registration date : 2010-01-15

worried over tia running off. Empty
PostSubject: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 10:58 am

hi there could someone please help me ive had skye now 4months and tia 15months but since i got skye, tia will not come back to me wen im out on the field skye comes straight back wen i shout skye come hes really good for his age, but tia still wont do it ive tried a nice voice tried a hard voice tried treats but she still runs round like shes playing a game, ive even gave her treats at home wen she in garden if i call her frm garden and she comes i treat her but she still wont wen were out and im so frightened that she will run off, and there brillant playing lose on the field. help plzzzzz worried n stressed. thankyou. worried over tia running off. 289342
Back to top Go down
Steffie

Steffie

Female
Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2009-06-16

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 11:39 am

I have recently started having this problem with my dog Viva. I have a trainer every couple of weeks come out to me. Her recall was coming along well but the last session Viva got out the garden and did a runner around some surrounding fields. She ran off like it was a game, we tried everything to get her back luckily she came back to the trainers dog when the trainers OH turned up with the dog.
Up until then we did find using a whistle was the best way to get her back.

My trainer has now said not to let her off at all so i am now using a long line or horse lunge line and we are going to start her back from the beginning, i have a session thursday so i shall update this thread with advice she gives me.
She did say until the session to use the long line, not to let her go to far ahead of me then call her back with the whistle and give a bigger praise so maybe use cheese or hotdog instead of just normal treats, she said you have to make the rewards more.

I will let you know what we do in the session on thursday
Back to top Go down
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 11:53 am

I agree with Steff.

I whistle trained my dogs and i find it a great tool, the whistle carries further than your voice and penetrates their hearing especially if the dog is really excited and your voice is just a background noise.

To whistle train, buy a really good one, they are not expensive, but you need one for the dogs not just an ordinary one, then start her in the house and garden, blow it and if she so much as looks at you huge praise and reward, reward with treats she never usually gets, so keep cheese or sausage just for recall. Slowly let it progress in the house and garden, until she makes her coming to you urgent, then that is the time to move on to somewhere safe outside to try it.

There is a rule on whistle training, never allow the dog to fail until it is fully trained. In other words, if for example someone knocking your door or playing ball etc means she will prob ignore you, do not blow the whistle then, only use it in easy situations to begin with, as her recall becomes more reliable you can begin to be demanding with it.

Hope all goes well, keep us updated and any more questions just ask, someone else may come along soon with different idea's use what works best for you and your dog worried over tia running off. 805515
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
halfpint-tc

halfpint-tc

Female

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 12:13 pm

thank you steffie and sandra thank you for all your advice i will give it go. hope your training goes well.many thanks again.xx worried over tia running off. 805515
Back to top Go down
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Your very welcome worried over tia running off. 910222 we are all here to help eachother, learn, make friends and have some fun along the way worried over tia running off. 805515
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
Steffie

Steffie

Female

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 1:07 pm

Your welcome, happy to help.
I know how horrid it is watching your dog run around and not come back. I thought i wasnt going to get her back that day esp when she ran out in the road
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:28 pm

i agree with what steffie and sandra have said....

i used a long line with fred, and didnt let him off for a good few months until i was completely sure he wouldnt run off, even then i left the line on him so i could grab it if he did try to do a runner worried over tia running off. 910222
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
BrenA

BrenA

Female
Number of posts : 7509
Rep : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 11:07 pm

worried over tia running off. 910222 I agree with the long line and whistle worried over tia running off. 910222

I have the same problem with Mickey he doesnt like coming back when hes enjoying the freedom worried over tia running off. 583730

The trainer we go to advised using a long line aswell worried over tia running off. 910222 i bought a horse lunge line but found that too heavy so bought a lighter dog one from John Humphris

Let us know how you get on worried over tia running off. 910222
Back to top Go down
halfpint-tc

halfpint-tc

Female

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 7:53 am

:morning: thank you all very much i will try any ideas, they look so happy wen there running free like that and i feel shes excercised better, i can walk for ages an she still not tired. worried over tia running off. 805515
Back to top Go down
jacobrad
jacobrad

Female
Number of posts : 3720
Rep : 19
Registration date : 2009-06-21

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeWed Jan 27, 2010 11:02 am

longlines and whistles are great , gemma use to go runaround all the time , but i started doing at home was when she's plodding round just call her give her a treat everytime she came to me she got a treat, luckily it worked for me,
Back to top Go down
http://www.jacobrad.co.uk
Steffie

Steffie

Female

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitimeSun Jan 31, 2010 8:29 pm

Sorry i havent updated this thread but i changed my session to tomorrow (monday) so i will update it when i have finished our session :san50:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: worried over tia running off.   worried over tia running off. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

worried over tia running off.
Page 1 of 1