Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 18 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 18 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Vote_lcapWhat have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Voting_barWhat have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Vote_rcap 
Sandra
What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Vote_lcapWhat have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Voting_barWhat have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?

Go down 
+4
GR8GSD
Sandra
SUMMER
storm_survivor
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
storm_survivor

storm_survivor

Number of posts : 663
Rep : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-13

What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Empty
PostSubject: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:05 am

So today I have to make the decision as to what happens to Max's body. Years ago my dad always buried our deceased pets in the garden, but I don't want to do that for a number of reasons, including we may be moving house. I know you can drop you pet off at the vets and just leave him/her with them and they arrange cremation, but I don't think I can just leave him there like that. So I have decided I am going to take him to the pet crematorium myself. Trouble is I don't know what to do after.... don't want to bury his ashes in the garden in case we move. I'm not sure about having the ashes around the house either. At the moment I'm leaning towards scattering them over his favorite park.

What do you guys think? What have you done in the past with your lost one? What would you do?
Back to top Go down
SUMMER
SUMMER

Female
Number of posts : 6955
Rep : 17

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:38 am

Linda i had my last dog cremated and his ashes are on a shelf in my bedroom
in a lovely box and it gives me comfort to know that he is always with me,it was
always my intention to scatter them over my husbands grave but i've never
been able to do that,i've just kept him with me.We are all different though and
whatever you decide has to be the right decision for you,i know you dont want to let him go,but you have to let him go so that you can get his ashes back,try to
be strong hun,sending you lots of hugs. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:
Back to top Go down
http://Arantiusgsd.webs.com

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:04 am

Hi Linda

I will cremate dogs...and have they in my house untill I pass away..
But I will write in my testament, that they are gonna be with me after I am gone ..
Then we allways will be togteher..

But as Summer said...what you decide is the right decicion you will make..

I am really sorry for your lost Linda... you know..he is gone, but his spirit lives on, I bet he is still with you, and the memoris nobody can ever take away from you..

Lots of love from Norway
Back to top Go down
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 10:36 am

I totally agree with Jan and Evy, it has to be what is right for you, I have my last dog buried in the garden of the house we are doing up, (it's only next door) so that she will always be close.

Though I never really think of her there, I feel she is beside me, just as she always was.

:love: :love: :love:
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
Rep : 15

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:54 am

yes its whats right for you hun

we got xena cremated and shes on top of the tv with her fave toy shes had for yrs my dad can not part with her he says shes watching him there lol

but i think wen keke and pads pass im scattering their ashes at their fave places im going to scatter paddys at greenodd i think near his fave stream one of our fave summers was spent their the day b4 we climed helvelin lol

you will know wat to do hun :love:
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female
Number of posts : 7509
Rep : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-17

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:10 pm

Hope you are ok Linda and think you made the right decision taking Max to be cremated yourself I have had 5 cats cremated and still have all their ashes in presentation boxes with their names on I used to have them on show but since moving and having the dog i keep them in my bedroom cupboard My initial thought was to scatter them in my garden but im glad i havent because ive moved 8 times since I want them and all future animals to be with me when i go and will leave instructions in my will stating this

Im sure you will do what is right for you :love: :love: :love:
Back to top Go down
slynico

slynico

Female
Number of posts : 4215
Rep : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:53 pm

Okay I am going to be the odd one out here.

I dont do the ashes thing because I strongly believe that the body is merely a shell for the soul, spirit, call it what you will. When anybody dies beit animal or person they leave the body and it becomes irrelevant.

When my mother died I went to see the body because my father felt that I should. I was so relieved when I saw her because I knew straightaway that she wasnt there anymore and thats how I feel about my pets. They are in my heart and always will be. I have no need for a box on a shelf.

(Dont mean to offend anyone btw. Just my view)
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm glad you said this Bev, I havent replied to this as I have the same views as you but didnt want to offend.

Woody was left at the vets to do what they do and I'm happy with that.

I hope you find something you are happy with Linda :love:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:13 pm

I remember the night I had to chose for Ben, too go. The staff said do you want to take him home or have him cremated - giving me a leaflet, which I couldn't face looking at, I wanted him cremated. I chose a caskit, which was a shape of a cat in a forever sleep. My Nan, kindly got me a memorial shelf for Christmas so his ashes sit on there with fresh flowers. My other German Shepherd (Also named, Taylor) is cremated, but my Mum couldn't face having his ashes in the living room - was to much to think he little body was in there.

Most of my animals now, have been and will be cremated because I always worry incase, I have to move and leave their bodies.

Thinking of you, Linda... :love:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:18 pm

SUMMER wrote:
Linda i had my last dog cremated and his ashes are on a shelf in my bedroom
in a lovely box and it gives me comfort to know that he is always with me,it was
always my intention to scatter them over my husbands grave but i've never
been able to do that,i've just kept him with me.We are all different though and
whatever you decide has to be the right decision for you,i know you dont want to let him go,but you have to let him go so that you can get his ashes back,try to
be strong hun,sending you lots of hugs. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

So sorry to hear about your Husband!!

I believe all those beloved pets that we have loved, are looking over us.. :love:

This sounds realy silly, but when, Molly (my cat), showed them signs (if anyone remembers) of like a fit, I looked at bens picture and said to him ''please look after molly for me'' and guess what? She never showed any signs - so I believe that Ben was looking down and looking after molly, because those two use to love play and be best of friends :love: Thanks Ben xx :san15:
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:12 pm

see my mum cant stand the fact my dad has xenas ashes still either bev she keeps saying we should at least scatter them i keep saying its not our desission ect but she said wen paddy goes he isnt staying on the tv lol

everyone has their own ideas and wat ever the outcome nothing can take away the love and time you had with your animals as that stays in your heart forever until the day you pass and i guess meet again...
Back to top Go down
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female
Number of posts : 15537
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:22 pm

my dogs have always been left at the vets :san56: i cant afford to do anything else with them, the price to have them pts was all i could afford. i felt bad for all of them over the years, but as bev said they are not there anymore, they are still here with me..
Back to top Go down
http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
slynico

slynico

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:26 pm

What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? 729386 What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? 729386

If I kept all mine on the mantelpiece there'd be no room for the clock!

I respect everyones view. We all handle it in a different way
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:29 pm

i know wat you mean batman it breaks the bloody bank big time we buried our last dogs ashes lol at my aunts she has land ect too
Back to top Go down
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:34 pm

my sister in law has a plot at a pet cemetary in wales, she bought it some time ago and now has 3 dogs resting there, she pays £500 everytime she buries a dog. that includes a proper silk lined casket a hearst and a service at the grave side, the headstone alone cost her £800. i think she's mental but, if she loved her dogs that much..fair play
Back to top Go down
slynico

slynico

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:35 pm

Completely mental! Better off giving it to GSD Rescue
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:37 pm

slynico wrote:
Completely mental! Better off giving it to GSD Rescue

You have a point here Bev What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? 867525
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:38 pm

omg thats a lot of money each to their own i guess but splashing out money like that does not mean that person loves their dog any more or less then the guy on the st who can not afford it....
Back to top Go down
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:39 pm

:yes:i know that fazza i'd prob of done the same if i could afford it
Back to top Go down
slynico

slynico

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:42 pm

ITA with ya Fazza! What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? 729386
Back to top Go down
storm_survivor

storm_survivor

Number of posts : 663
Rep : 0

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:44 pm

Well my vet wanted £110 just to dispose of my dogs body (no charge for euthanasia because he passed away at home). To arrange a cremation and return of his ashes the price was £172.

So I approached the place direct. They charged £105 for laying Max out in the basket, the use of their private room, with lovely music and flowers, for as long as I wanted to say goodbye, an entry into the memorial book, and the cremation and return of his ashes.

I couldn't belive my vet was charging an extra £67! So I took him myself, not only to save money but to see what the place was like. Glad I did.

I have left a pet that has died at the vets before with them to dispose of, but that's because I've not looked into the other options available. Again with the wonders of the internet you can shop around for all sorts.... and in some cases it maybe cheaper that the vets prices!

I was lucky to have had Max at home and have had time to think, so didn't have to make a rush decision. I know he has gone, and it was just an empty body that I had cremated, and I know that his ashes are not really him anymore. But scattering them with them with my kids is a way we can say goodbye together, its what we want. Maybe in the future I'll feel that it wasn't really necessary, but right now it feels like the right thing to do for us.

Talked to my mom and she thinks it's all a wast of time and money! She goes as far as to say when she goes we should stick her in a black bag, throw her in a wheelbarrow and push her up the crem. No need to spend money on coffins or hursts! Then she complained and wanted to know why I didn't take her to the pet cemetary with me today!
Back to top Go down
slynico

slynico

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:47 pm

Linda hun. Please dont be upset with me. Its just the way I feel & I fully respect your right to do what you have done. Its not up to me to say whether you are right or wrong
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:50 pm

Isnt it amazing how much vets can vary? I had Woody euthanised and left him at the vets and they only charged £47.

:2445: @ your mum!!!

I'm glad you have decided what you want. We will all be thinking of you and I think it sounds lovely :love:
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:52 pm

slynico wrote:
Linda hun. Please dont be upset with me. Its just the way I feel & I fully respect your right to do what you have done. Its not up to me to say whether you are right or wrong

Bev, I thought you put it across very well and very sensitively, I couldnt, thats why I didnt bother :love:
Back to top Go down
slynico

slynico

Female

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks Paula. i did think afterwards that I should have waited as Linda's loss is so recent. I hope I havent upset her
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?   What have you done/would you do with a lost pet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What have you done/would you do with a lost pet?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next