Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Vote_lcapRSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Voting_barRSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Vote_rcap 
Sandra
RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Vote_lcapRSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Voting_barRSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female
Number of posts : 15537
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-08

RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Empty
PostSubject: RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down   RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm

The RSPCA has lost out on part of a£400,000 legacy after a pet dog was put down.

Blackie's owner Claude Atack, 80, from Caernarfon, Gwynedd, had
specified that any charity which found his pet a home would get a large
part of his estate.

Solicitor Dewi Pritchard Jones thought the dog was in good health and was shocked he had been put down.

But the RSPCA said Blackie was found to suffer from numerous health problems, and was put down on humane grounds.

Mr Atack was found collapsed at his home by concerned neighbours when
they realised they had not seen him walking sheepdog Blackie on 29
January.

'Safe'

"He walked Blackie four times a day, and he lived for the dog," said Mr Pritchard Jones.

Mr Atack died in hospital on 1 February.

A neighbour initially looked after Blackie, then he was handed over to the RSPCA.

"I wasn't concerned because their leaflets state that they do not put
animals down without good reason. I thought he was safe," said the
solicitor.

He added that Mr Atack had stated in his will that his estate should be
shared between different charities, but with no less than one fifth
going to an animal charity.

But verbally he had told his solicitor that more of his estate should be given to any charity which found Blackie a new home.

He had stipulated that he could be "especially generous" to any charity which found his dog a home.

Mr Pritchard Jones said that a couple, who do not wish to be named but
who knew Mr Atack, came forward to offer Blackie a home on 8 February.

They traced him to an RSPCA kennel at Shrewsbury, but were told he had already been put down on the day he was handed in.

However the RSPCA said Blackie went to them on 2 February, and was only
put to sleep on 8 February, after he was assessed for six days.

"They said it was because he was in poor health, but I know his health was good," said Mr Pritchard Jones.

"The old gentleman thought the world of him and at any sign of illness he would be whipped off to the vet," he said.

Other charities

"The vet said he (Blackie) had cataracts and was overweight, as a dog which is pampered tends to be," he added.

The incident would have broken Mr Atack's heart, he said.

"He lived by himself, it was just him and the dog," he added.

The solicitor added that the money - in excess of £400,000 - would be shared between other charities.

"I am angry about what happened, because I have a dog which is 15 years
old, and you can't put them down just because they are old," he said.

"I think Blackie would have made someone elderly a lovely companion, as
he was used to being around an older person, and they often don't want
the hassle of getting a puppy," he added.

The RSPCA said all animals that go into RSPCA care go through an
assessment period which includes a general health check by a vet.

"Blackie had numerous health problems including a severe heart murmur
and the vet recommended he was put to sleep on humane grounds," said a
spokesperson.

"The RSPCA has a strong reputation of re-homing elderly animals and the
very difficult decision regarding Blackie was purely based on welfare
grounds and would not have altered had the RSPCA known about his
deceased owner's will."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/8545374.stm

RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down 866713 this so called charity never cease to amaze me RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down 866713
Back to top Go down
http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
hilary bradshaw

hilary bradshaw

Female
Number of posts : 2629
Rep : 24
Registration date : 2009-08-04

PostSubject: Re: RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down   RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 8:32 pm

I have finally had the balls to stop my monthly direct debit being paid to them. I have paid it for years.
this story just confirms what you all have been saying.
I.ll just put the money in Pwas n Claws coffers now
Back to top Go down
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female
Number of posts : 15537
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down   RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 10:06 pm

hilary bradshaw wrote:
I have finally had the balls to stop my monthly direct debit being paid to them. I have paid it for years.
this story just confirms what you all have been saying.
I.ll just put the money in Pwas n Claws coffers now

RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down 277732

Well done Hilary RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down 805515 RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down 805515
Back to top Go down
http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down   RSPCA loss after Caernarfon pet is put down Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1