Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Vote_lcapSecurity firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Voting_barSecurity firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Vote_rcap 
Sandra
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Vote_lcapSecurity firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Voting_barSecurity firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female
Number of posts : 15537
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Empty
PostSubject: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 7:50 pm

this is a follow up of the story i posted last week

GROUP of animal lovers has slammed an Enfield security firm for
putting down large numbers of guard dogs after it went into
liquidation.

Up to two dozen dogs are believed to have been put to sleep by the
Ministry Protection Services last week, though the exact number is
unknown.

The firm, which "prides itself on having the biggest dog section
the private sector can provide", did not do anything illegal, but
several dog owners have voiced anger that more of the animals were not
rehoused.

Many posted critical messages on a Facebook discussion site, which was set up following the incident.

Sally Nicholson-Fisher, 49, from Brighton Road, first notified the
Enfield Independent about the incident. She said: "People say the firm
did try to rehome the dogs, but they were just too vicious, but I would
dispute that.

"I tried hard to intervene and take the dogs off their hands, but
didn't have any luck. It all happened very quickly and I don't believe
they tried very hard at all.

"I feel appalled by it. What really irks me is that these dogs were
bred for security reasons, made to be vicious and then disposed of when
they were no longer useful."

Writing on the Facebook site, James Henry Eades called for the law
to be changed: "I am so upset and angry at the injustice of training
dogs to be aggressive and then having them killed.

"Anyone manipulating dogs to be aggressive has a moral responsibility to these dogs for life.

"Apparently there is no legal responsibility to keep these dogs
alive, but in situations such as these - eg "security" dogs - the law
needs to be changed."

Ministry Protection Services could not be contacted, but a friend
of the owner, who works in the animal industry, defended the decision
to put the dogs down.

He said: "Hundreds of dogs are put down all the time by the police, the prison service, the Army. It is often unavoidable.

"This poor guy hated having to do what he did. It was not done on a
whim. He tried extremely hard to rehouse the dogs, and all the dogs
that could be rehoused were rehoused.

"The fact is, some dogs are too aggressive to be put in a new home and the safest thing to do is put them down.

"All these do-gooders on Facebook need a reality check."

Dog welfare charity Dogs Trust declined to comment on this specific
incident as it did not know the full details, but confirmed that "no
healthy dog should ever be put to sleep".

A spokeswoman said: "Should any company that utilises working dogs
go into liquidation, we would advise them to immediately contact
rehoming charities or breed rescue associations before taking the
drastic step of putting them to sleep.

"Retired working dogs can make great pets and we firmly believe that no healthy dog should ever be put to sleep."

Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 743284
Back to top Go down
http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 7:53 pm

Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 743284
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
slynico

slynico

Female
Number of posts : 4215
Rep : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2010 11:29 pm

Not sure if this will make me very popular but, extremely sad though it is, I feel that there is probably a lot of truth in what the friend of the security firm owner said.

It's not necessarily a question of training them to be aggressive and then disposing of them when they are no longer useful. They are trained to do a job and its not everyone that can handle them.

Imagine the outcry if one of these dogs was rehomed and then went on to attack somebody?

I have seen how some people handle difficult dogs (and horses for that matter) and it often involves brute force. 'Knock all that aggression out of them!!'

Putting them to sleep may well be the best solution.
Back to top Go down
hilary bradshaw

hilary bradshaw

Female
Number of posts : 2629
Rep : 24
Registration date : 2009-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 12:12 pm

I have re-homed 3 security dogs in the past and they made wonderful, sweet natured pets.

all were so grateful to be taken away from the life that fate had bequethed them.
I had one myself, Sheba, a black gsd, I brought her home on the Sunday and booked her into the vets for some dentistry work on the Thursday, when anethesthizing her I massive inoperable tumor was found in her throat and she had to be pts. I have never cried so much.
the only reason I managed to get her away from the security firm because they said she was useless, and didn't bark anymore.

the bastards, no wonder she didn't bark. Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 866713

rip Sheba, never forgotten
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 551236
Back to top Go down
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female
Number of posts : 15537
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:13 pm

i hear what your saying Bev, but surely they could of been re-homed to other security firms/police/army/prisons, after all they were experienced dogs in this field and not needing much training would have saved a lot of money for anyone/firm taking them on.

awww Hilary you have had a lot of sad times with dogs and rats Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 805515
Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 75462 Sheba XXXX
Back to top Go down
http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 3:14 pm

It's very sad Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 743284

Sorry to hear that Hilary Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs 805515
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs   Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Security firm slammed for putting down healthy dogs
Page 1 of 1