Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
raw food diet information Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 10 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 10 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
raw food diet information Vote_lcapraw food diet information Voting_barraw food diet information Vote_rcap 
Sandra
raw food diet information Vote_lcapraw food diet information Voting_barraw food diet information Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

raw food diet information

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-28

raw food diet information Empty
PostSubject: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 11:14 pm

the Raw Food Diet

The drive of this approach is towards a wild-type diet. The cat and dog have evolved over thousands of years to eat certain raw foods. These foods then, logically, must be best suited to optimal health. There is an argument that dogs in different geographical areas of the world will have evolved to eat variations on this basic wild diet. I think this is probably the case, but the degree that this affects the dog is minimal compared to the quantum shift from commercial to raw food. First things first, ay!?

Gotcha - An Aussie Cattledog - thinking about his raw food dinner
The Canid in the wild is essentially a hunter/scavenger. It will be eating a very varied diet based mainly on hunted and scavenged ruminant and small mammal carcases, scavenge fruit, berries nuts and roots etc. When they eat a carcase, they start with the viscera, including the gut content (liquidised raw grass, cereal and vegetable matter), then move onto muscle and other tissues. They are finally left with bones on which to chew.

Cats are similar in that they will eat a whole carcase including fur, neural tissue and gut contents and so on. They will not tend to scavenge, and therefore are better adapted to fresher meat and a higher proportion of the diet as meat/tissue protein. This, therefore, must be reflected in the raw food diet fed today.

Diet Sheet for Dogs:

Natural Feeding for Dogs

Dogs, Food and History: For thousands of years, dogs roamed the ancient world. They made their homes on the Savannahs of Africa, the plains of India and the forests of Europe, Asia and the Americas. Packs of dogs swirled through every type of terrain in every climate. They ate what they could wherever they could. Their food came from three sources: prey, scavenged and grazed items. Prey would be mainly herbivores, for example rabbits, deer, sheep or antelope. Scavenged food was food which dogs , acting as nature's cleaners, devoured from the scraps left over from the meals of big, messy carnivores such as lions, bears and pumas. Grazed food included apples, berries and other wild fruits and nuts in season, and formed a small but significant part of a dog's diet, especially during summer. Coprophagia (eating of faeces) offered dogs even greater nutritional scope.

Dogs hunted in packs. They devoured their prey completely: nothing would remain of the carcase. The soft organs, or viscera, were the first things to be eaten, followed by the gut contents, which, in herbivores, would be full of chewed and partially digested vegetable matter. Cereals were also present, but only as a small proportion. Then the muscle (meat) would be eaten. The bones, skin and hair comprised the final course, being nature's way of cleaning the teeth after a large meal.

Man has been feeding dogs for about forty thousand years. The canines helped with the hunt and man rewarded them with some of the leftovers, which the dogs were only too happy to consume. Life was easier for both species under this arrangement: man got a useful hunting companion; the dogs got a pack mate who fed them a broad-ranging diet without them having to do too much work.

Commercial Diets: In the 1950s, food producers in the United States came up with a novel idea to sell the large amounts of leftover, poor-quality meat, gristle, viscera and cereal by-products that they could not hide in sausages: they put it in tins and called it 'dog food'. For the first time in history, people could buy food specially made for their dogs. The idea caught on, and soon people forgot that they used to simply feed their dogs raw meat and bones and vegetable scraps - a broad variety of foods which, being minimally processed, retained their nutritional value.

Today we find ourselves bombarded with pet food advertisements for 'this' tinned brand or 'that' dry brand, or 'this' sausage preparation or 'that' super-chew. There are so many processed dog foods to choose from that we don't know where to turn. When I was at college, one of my lecturers said, 'If there's more than one answer to a problem, then they're probably all wrong'. Is this the case with pet food? I believe so. I think we've forgotten about the basics in our drive for convenience. Admittedly, we all try to buy the best for our wonderful dogs, but ask yourself the following: (a) If this food is as great as they say it is, why aren't they giving it to people to eat - astronauts or prisoners, for example? And ( b) Would I eat this stuff?

The answers to these questions, as we all know, are (a) No, they do not and would not use such food for people, in any extreme (apart from school children, I suppose), and (b) No, I wouldn't eat it if you paid me!

Convenient Disease: So why do we feed processed food to our dogs? In a word, convenience. But how convenient is it when, because of eating processed food, your pet develops a persistent itch, eczema, dental problems, smelly breath, an inhalant allergy, colitis, food hypersensitivity, lethargy, a dull or scurfy coat, kidney disease , or rheumatoid arthritis - to name but a few?

Raw Food: Dogs, in my opinion, should eat, as far as possible, a raw diet: raw meat, liquidised raw fruit and veg, and raw bones. It's simple to feed, and, as your own common sense will tell you, it's what dogs are designed to eat. Here's how a raw diet works:

All breeds of dog can enjoy raw food feeding. You'll be surprised.

The Rules:

Dogs should be fed on a variety of raw meat and bones. Just sticking to one meat source will deprive the dog of nutrients. Do not feed pork. If your dog has a skin or bowel problem, do not initially feed beef; wait until you're sure that it won't cause hypersensitivity (4 weeks), and then introduce gradually. Raw chicken wings can also be fed as a meat source two or three times a week and are ideal for small dogs and puppies over 5 weeks. Never give cooked bones: they are prone to splinter and can cause internal problems for your pet. Raw bones are easily chewed and digested, and provide much-needed calcium. It is very unlikely, but not impossible, that bones will become stuck in the digestive tract; if you do not give bones to clean teeth, however, poor teeth and general anaesthetic for dental work is very likely. Giving raw vegetable stalks (eg broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower) or whole raw carrots and other fibrous vegetables helps to keep teeth clean.

Daily quantities of raw meat: for every 10kg of body weight, a dog should eat 2-400g of meat/meaty bones. This is only a guideline to start: if your dog is gaining weight, reduce the quantity; if it is losing weight, increase it. Chicken wings should be counted as meat, but meaty bones should be fed, in addition to meat, at least twice weekly for teeth cleaning and to supply calcium. Minces with ground bone content (e.g. AMP minces - see later) are an excellent source of calcium. You can feed once or twice daily.

For every handful of meat, feed two handfuls of liquidised raw fruit and veg* - a bit like 'meat-and-two-veg' that we're all used to hearing. Freshly ground-up nuts (any nuts), ground-up seeds (pumpkin, sunflower etc.), herbs (any) should be added to the 'veg' portion. Cooked beans can replace meat occasionally.

Feed fresh viscera once a week instead of meaty bones (heart, kidney, lung or liver). Remember, wild animals as a food source come with viscera (organ meat) as well as muscle meat and bones; it' s a necessary part of a balanced diet, however distasteful it may appear. Vary the organ meat weekly.

Treats can include baked liver cubes, small amounts of freeze-dried meats, fruit and veg portions or dried fruit (not raisins).

Do not feed cereals or rice (mixer biscuits or treats). Do not feed raisins. Buckwheat and Quinoa are good fillers as they are not cereals.

* Take any vegetables, especially green-leaved ones, fruit and salad items and place in the liquidiser. You can use just one or two ingredients at any one liquidising, but make sure you have variety from week to week. Blend to a rough broth. If necessary, add some water. Pour the liquidised mix onto the meat until you have a meat-to-veg ratio of 1:2 by volume. If your dog is ill or old, you should take a few days to slowly and gradually switch to the new regimen .

Use a good mineral and vitamin supplement.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:19 pm

Ohhh brilliant stuff
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 5:01 pm

I use a mixture (not all at the same time) of a raw diet, a home cooked diet and a complete food.

I am planning to cut out the complete again as soon as I have a new freezer.

Great article Shelley ;)
Back to top Go down
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:14 pm

I use a mixture as well, they seem to do well on it so I am not to worried, 🤔
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
manto

manto

Female
Number of posts : 333
Rep : 0
Registration date : 2009-01-12

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeMon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 pm

Great post shell, ive been feeding raw for years so always willing to help with advice. :love:
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 1:19 pm

tbh i mainly feed mine a mixture of everything, would love to go completely raw, but we havent the resources....no room for a big freezer...
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Yeah, I have another freezer now but its not plugged in yet, just sat in the way lol

Will get sorted soon and no more dried food :)
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 1:29 pm

i think i would keep fred what he is on now,as hes doing really well, and put him on raw food for his afternoon feed... his afternoon feeds pretty much consist of random foods anyway lol.... yesterday was chicken... today will be mince, it depends what we have in the freezer lol, and if we havent anything in the freezer he gets his complete and tinned meat again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: raw food diet information   raw food diet information Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

raw food diet information
Page 1 of 1