Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 22 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Vote_lcapPolice dog Nelson foils our reporter Voting_barPolice dog Nelson foils our reporter Vote_rcap 
Sandra
Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Vote_lcapPolice dog Nelson foils our reporter Voting_barPolice dog Nelson foils our reporter Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

Police dog Nelson foils our reporter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Empty
PostSubject: Police dog Nelson foils our reporter   Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 5:58 pm

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/news/Police-dog-Nelson-foils-reporter/article-1140390-detail/article.html

I WAS running as fast as my legs would take me.

My heart was pumping and fear had forced me to look over my shoulder to try to estimate how long it would be before I was caught.

What I saw only served to cause me further fright. Bearing towards me at breakneck speed was Nelson, one of Derbyshire police's German Shepherd search dogs.

Just moments earlier I had been playfully stroking the loveable pooch. Now, I was the enemy.

I could hear his panting breath and snarling get closer and closer, until he jumped up at me and clamped his glistening white teeth around my arm.

Fortunately, I had more than enough protection. I was wearing a heavy-duty arm-guard. Thank goodness, this was only part of Nelson's training.

I was roped into the session by Derbyshire Constabulary's Dogs Unit and I was effectively the stuntman subject of their training.

"It amazes me that some people try to run when they know we have the dogs out," said police dog trainer Sergeant Dave Heaps.

"There's only ever going to be one winner.

"Some criminals try to put their arms up to stop themselves being bitten but the dogs will go for anything."

Within seconds of catching me, Nelson's instructor, PC Darren Mabbott, yelled "platz" across the field. The dog immediately let go of my arm, sat at my feet and barked at me.

Nelson only understands German and had just been instructed to sit down.

For the past two years, the force has been recruiting dogs from Germany.

Sgt Heaps said: "We were struggling to source enough German Shepherds in England. We were getting some dogs through but many were failing on several things.

"They were being bred for their coats and looks. In Germany they breed Schutzhund protection dogs that compete against each other in professional work and are trained in obedience. Some are rejected for the smallest of things. It could be that they are too big or too small. For the work of a police dog, those are the sort of things that don't matter in the slightest to us.

"These dogs are already trained rather than having to do a year course before they can go out on the streets."

The force has nine German dogs; Nero, Eeko, Bob, Muro, Daxi, Texi, Arkan, Baxter and Nelson – who had just chased me across the fields of Derbyshire police headquarters in Ripley.

Nine of the quota are drug and firearms search dogs, while there are also three dogs who are trained in sniffing out explosives.

The dogs have been instructed using around 15 one-word commands in German.

Handlers have had to learn commands include "sitz" – sit – and "platz" for down. To tell them to let go they shout "aus", while "holen" means fetch, and "bissen", bite.

They certainly do not know the meaning of the word Achtung (danger).

Sgt Heaps said the animals are put through a 10-week training course, where they are tested on their search qualities, their ability to follow orders and their agility.

Those animals that make the grade are then given a check-up every three months to ensure they remain up to standard.

If they do not make the grade, good homes are found for them.

Sgt Heaps said the dogs have proved invaluable to the force. He said his search dogs had unearthed people curled-up in hedges and led officers to suspects inside wheelie-bins.

"The police dogs are able to direct officers to places where they may never look. They are an invaluable tool."

All I can say is I'm thankful they spend their time looking for the bad guys and won't be pursuing me again any time soon.
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
Rep : 15

PostSubject: Re: Police dog Nelson foils our reporter   Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 7:04 pm

brill, altho a lil lazy to buy ready trained dogs :san42:

dont talk to the trainers at GMP bout schutzhund they think its a load of shite :2431: :san42:
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: Police dog Nelson foils our reporter   Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 7:58 pm

:2445: :2445: :2445: :2445: :2445:
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48

PostSubject: Re: Police dog Nelson foils our reporter   Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitimeTue Jul 07, 2009 9:02 pm

:2431: brill!
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Police dog Nelson foils our reporter   Police dog Nelson foils our reporter Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Police dog Nelson foils our reporter
Page 1 of 1