Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Anybody here
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
    BUBBLES
    Bubbles Has Been Moved
    To THE New Games
    Section, Under
    Shelley's Loose Lips
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Who is online?
    In total there are 22 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
    April 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    CalendarCalendar
    Top posters
    fredsmum
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Vote_lcaphow to teach.... - Page 2 Voting_barhow to teach.... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
    Sandra
    how to teach.... - Page 2 Vote_lcaphow to teach.... - Page 2 Voting_barhow to teach.... - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
    liverbird
    Judes
    BrenA
    GR8GSD
    SUMMER
    Paula
    Lainee
    slynico
    Statistics
    We have 489 registered users
    The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

how to teach....

Go down 
    +4
    Sandra
    fredsmum
    storm_survivor
    GR8GSD
    8 posters
    Go to page : Previous  1, 2
    AuthorMessage
    Sandra
    Admin
    Admin
    Sandra

Female
    Number of posts : 20040
    Rep : 22
    Registration date : 2008-12-28

how to teach.... - Page 2 Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:27 pm

Bryn used to be scared of horses as well Jude, he used to hide his head between my legs, very embarassing, :2431: then I would also have to walk around with a wet patch like I had wet myself.

Zep got him out of that for me, no help am I, :2445: soeey, but it can be done hun, I think he just walked him past them in a field and let him sniff the air etc and prob took him with a confident dog near horses.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.dogtalk4us.com
    Judes
    Admin
    Admin
    Judes

Female
    Number of posts : 11943
    Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:30 pm

Sandra wrote:
    Bryn used to be scared of horses as well Jude, he used to hide his head between my legs, very embarassing, :2431: then I would also have to walk around with a wet patch like I had wet myself.

Zep got him out of that for me, no help am I, :2445: soeey, but it can be done hun, I think he just walked him past them in a field and let him sniff the air etc and prob took him with a confident dog near horses.

Marley growls and barks and chases them!!! We have to have eyes in the back of our heads when we are on the beach and get him on his lead quick if one should appear!! how to teach.... - Page 2 434936 how to teach.... - Page 2 434936
    Back to top Go down
    Sandra
    Admin
    Admin
    Sandra

Female
    Number of posts : 20040
    Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Ohh that is quite different Jude, can see your problem and why your concerned :love:
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.dogtalk4us.com
    Paula

Paula

Female
    Number of posts : 5647
    Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 12:39 am

Whats the best way forward with a submissive male pup?

When everyone is here and the house is noisy, we have no problems with pup, hes fine. He will lie with me on the sofa and take affection just like a puppy does and he will play and seems full of confidence with everyone including the girls and kids.

Every night after Joe goes to bed, the oh takes the girls out for a walk and I turn the tv off and have a quiet hour or so, just me and pup. Stan will come to me if I call him with a low waggy tail but will crouch and be very submissive, to the point of weeing a bit and if I put him on the sofa, he will get off and try to go on the other one or even go in the other room. He would rather I just left him alone completely.

I've taken to pretty much ignoring him now, then every now and again, calling him over, giving him a quick stroke and ignoring him again, all done calmly without high pitched voices etc and he doesnt wee anymore but is still unsure of me.

Should I be doing anything else or should I just carry on and let him learn to trust me in his own time? He is not like this the rest of the time, just when we are alone and only with me. Oh, we split all his care 50/50 too, feeding, taking out in the garden, training (he has a good sit already lol) etc.

Cheers lol
    Back to top Go down
    fredsmum
    Admin
    Admin
    fredsmum

Female
    Number of posts : 31916
    Rep : 48

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:18 pm

im no expert hun, but i think your doing the best thing already, dont ignore him and let him do his own thing, the problem could escalate, i would say every half hour or less, if hes awake, call him to you, and treat, and keep doing it, make it a good thing coming to you! we had this with betty, she used to pee when anybody went near her, we got her used to it by people approaching her calmly with their hand out for her to sniff first...she soon got used to people, and touch wood, she hasnt peed for ages!...
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.shelleyisgod.com
    Paula

Paula

Female
    Number of posts : 5647
    Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:51 pm

Cheers Shelley, its hard to know what is best but I really didnt want to just ifnore him or overwhelm him lol

Betty has turned into a lovely girl too, I love Betty!!!
    Back to top Go down
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
    Rep : 15

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 9:59 pm

hadnt noticed the replys lol

kari have you tried a remote spray collar? as soon as he spots the cat spray him? this may help break the cycle hun

with marley i would get him to a lot of areas were he is on lead and cant get near the horses but he can see them have treats with you loosen your lead he may look at them as soon as he looks to you YES and treat *high reward type* he will then look at horses again and hopefuly remember you have a treat and look back again YES and reward now this may not work and he may just bark like crazy at the horses in that case if it was my dog i would tell them straight lol give a firm NO and as soon as hes quiet good lad and carry on and walk past over and over its hard to help with this issue wen you cant see it ect
    Back to top Go down
    Kari

Kari

Female
    Number of posts : 113
    Rep : 0
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 2:23 pm

GR8GSD wrote:
    hadnt noticed the replys lol

kari have you tried a remote spray collar? as soon as he spots the cat spray him? this may help break the cycle hun

Never thought about using a remote spray collar, but i sure will try it.. Thanks :love:
    Just called the dog trainer, he's coming over later today with it, going to use it when he's in the car too, because he's barking when we're not there.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.freewebs.com/lexus-gsd/
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
    Rep : 15

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:01 pm

yea i used one on my search dog a lil pointer as she would go crazy in the van and wen we were training with manchester police so we used one then and it really did work so good luck hun :love: :love: :love:

let us know how it goes
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to teach....
    Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2