Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
    Latest topics
    » Anybody here
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
    how to teach.... Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
    BUBBLES
    Bubbles Has Been Moved
    To THE New Games
    Section, Under
    Shelley's Loose Lips
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Who is online?
    In total there are 22 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 22 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
    April 2024
    MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
    CalendarCalendar
    Top posters
    fredsmum
    how to teach.... Vote_lcaphow to teach.... Voting_barhow to teach.... Vote_rcap 
    Sandra
    liverbird
    Judes
    BrenA
    GR8GSD
    SUMMER
    Paula
    Lainee
    slynico
    Statistics
    We have 489 registered users
    The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

how to teach....

Go down 
    +4
    Sandra
    fredsmum
    storm_survivor
    GR8GSD
    8 posters
    Go to page : 1, 2  Next
    AuthorMessage
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
    Rep : 15
    Registration date : 2008-12-28

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:41 pm

ok we have a few trainers on here and experienced ppl so i thought we would start a thread to help ppl teach certain exercises wat ever they may be.

so id like to know wat is the biggest prob you guys have and i hope that a lot of us will give our ideas and hope to help :love:

everyone join in as all answers are welcome
    Back to top Go down
    storm_survivor

storm_survivor

Number of posts : 663
    Rep : 0
    Registration date : 2009-01-13

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:48 pm

Sounds good.... only have one problem with Sabre. When he gets over excited/stressed, usually when we have visitors, he goes off into the garden and pulls his fur out. I can control it by keeping him inside, but in the summer when it's hot it's nice to have the patio open. I have tried distracting him (kong/chew toy), Dap, making him lay down in one spot. So like I say I can control it but if I turn my back for a minute or forget to put him in a stay... he's off! Within minutes he can pull out huge chunks of fur, and sometimes even make himself bleed! Just wish I knew away to help him not want to do it.....so any ideas?
    Back to top Go down

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 7:28 pm

The problem, I have with Taylor is that he likes to gnaw on our clothes - Mostly, in the evening. He pulls our shoes, sleeves and jackets (if we have them on).. i think half of it, is because he wants to get up and play. He doesn't do it as much, when he has been out - But he did it last night, when he went out (for a walk)....
    Back to top Go down
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:07 pm

linda i have helped solve this issue b4 hun as you have tried the distracting ect what i would now do with him is correct him i do this the same way cesar does as soon as he chews march other and do the bite/poke thing and march him to his bed you see him do it again get up and correct you have to be consistant but it does work so wat you are doing is snapping him out of this obsesion b4 it goes to far a bit like slapping someone who is in a high state of panic and i find the best place on the dog to "bite" lol is on their flank *side of their body* as it tikles and they will go OH lol

karen ya lads bord hun like you say and also doesnt understand mouthing isnt allowed i would first try making sure he has had enough exerscie and play time and wen he does chew correct and get a toy and give it him to play with maybe even do a lil bit of training. if he persists i would get firm with him its hard with this one with out seeing as you need to know how the dog reacts

you see pup would launch at me and grab hold of my shoulders and ragg like hell! i wouldnt allow it but i wanted that fight in him so i would correct calm him and then play a game as i knew he muct have been bord

hope this helps sorry its all quick
    Back to top Go down
    storm_survivor

storm_survivor

Number of posts : 663

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:19 pm

mmmm.... will give that a go. I usually don't give him chance to do it, and if he does start he is usually at the top of the garden in a bush (which is the only spot he does it in!), I will call him and he will stop and come back in. So it's not too bad when I'm home because I keep a close eye him, but when I'm not there the rest of the family aren't so observant!
    Back to top Go down
    fredsmum
    Admin
    Admin
    fredsmum

Female
    Number of posts : 31916
    Rep : 48

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:26 pm

i have a terrible problem with fred and the cat, ever since fred had been a few months old he has chased and pestered the poor boy, he pounces on him, and im not sure if her would hurt him if i wasnt there to stop him, i ahve been consistent for over a year with him now, and i even nip it in the bud and nip him on his side! it does not work, now when i go to stop him, he leans over to one side so i cant nip him, almost as if hes crouching out the way,he will leave the cat if i tell him, but we has to be told time and time again, its as if he isnt listening,or he enjoys being told off lol!
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.shelleyisgod.com
    Sandra
    Admin
    Admin
    Sandra

Female
    Number of posts : 20040
    Rep : 22

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 pm

Bryn wants to herd other dogs, he chooses one and herds it, he will stop but I have to be hard on him, then he won't play or anything just walks by myside, the very next opportunity he gets he herds again, it can also be curbed by toys, but if I stop for a second he will herd again
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.dogtalk4us.com
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:34 pm

some dogs do enjoy that attention shelley i would trwo something at him if he was my dog lol like some keys to shock him and raise my voice and say NO as the keys will make a noise wen they hit the ground or a bottle with coins/pebbles in worth a go lol
    Back to top Go down
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:36 pm

i ment throw lol
    sange if he was mine i would come down on him for that i dont mean harsh but if i saw a dog call him put on lead and work him so he learns wen he sees a dog mums gonna bring out the toy and play so that may help

if not the way i stopped pup wanting to chase cars *done in 5 mins* may work
    Back to top Go down
    fredsmum
    Admin
    Admin
    fredsmum

Female

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:39 pm

i tried the bottle thing faz, but betty scares easily and runs off and thinks she has done something wrong! so its hard when im trying to disciplin fred and betty is around, she thinks she has done wrong xx
    Back to top Go down
    Sandra
    Admin
    Admin
    Sandra

Female

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:40 pm

He will stop immediately I tell him Fazz, and I use toys and that keeps him busy as well, but if I take my off him for a second he is back herding, like it's a compulsion, I can't talk to people coz if I don't pay him constant attention he will herd, but when he knows I am watching him he won't
    Back to top Go down
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:51 pm

see listerning to you both its killing me cos i know if i showed you both wat to do it would work :wqq: :wqq: :2445:

and i know how hard you both work with your dogs too i hate this lol

awww yea i remember you say bout betty hun dang it xena used to be the same hun due to being beaten its a pain as even now i was telling paddy NO and pup come over with his "it wasnt me" face :2445:
    Back to top Go down
    fredsmum
    Admin
    Admin
    fredsmum

Female

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:55 pm

yea thats how betty is, as soon as i tell fred, betty legs it like shes gona be beaten, and not knowing how she was treated when she was little, makes it harder!,.. fred just looks at you like hes a hard man and doesnt care lol!...
    Back to top Go down
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:04 pm

:san42: sounds like ke hun could scream till ya blue in the face at that one :2445: :2445: :2445:
    Back to top Go down
    fredsmum
    Admin
    Admin
    fredsmum

Female

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:14 pm

thats exactly how he is faz how to teach.... 729386 you could scream in his face lol and he would probably just look at you
    Back to top Go down

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 pm

:2445: :2445: :2445:
    Back to top Go down
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:25 pm

yup sounds like zeps breeding :2445: i remeber the dog he had on the BIPDT course wat a lovely lad he was
    Back to top Go down

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Heidi has a problem with chasing cars...so on our walks I have to tell to sit by my left side each time a car is passing..even thouht she will try to really turn her head after the car...
    Back to top Go down
    fredsmum
    Admin
    Admin
    fredsmum

Female

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:36 pm

GR8GSD wrote:
    yup sounds like zeps breeding :2445: i remeber the dog he had on the BIPDT course wat a lovely lad he was

lol its like living with a permanent stubborn teenager, no matter wht i do it doesnt matter lol, i think when zep and mo had him they struggled a bit lol!!

betty had a problem with chasing cars when we first got ehr, so i took her to a busy road and stood with her on a lead by the road, and everytime a car went past i tugged her sharply and said no, it took me half an hour and she never did it again.... i did the same for fred when he started chasing seagulls lol!...everytime he looked or went to chase one i pulled him back on his long line!
    Back to top Go down
    liverbird
    Admin
    Admin
    liverbird

Female
    Number of posts : 15537
    Rep : 31
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:43 am

i have a problemo how to teach.... 729386 with Bailey mainly but Tilly is still a little excitable.

when i go to the front door and get their leads all hell breaks loose, Bailey will turn round and round and round in a tiny porch whining, barking. jumping up at me. he tries to stop me putting Tillys halti on until i have done his then he still tries to stop me doing it, if my OH is asleep in the daytime, i cant take them out because he makes too much noise, and night time is a no-no. he is like this even if i manage to sneak him out without Tilly noticing, he's screetching in the street..i've tried the calm/ignor him till he's quiet and then put the halti on, but he wont shuttit, he barks at me instead..he is perfect in every way when he is out.. but getting him out of the front door is like army manouvres..help me fazza pleeeeeezzzzzeeeee...
    Back to top Go down
    http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
    GR8GSD

GR8GSD

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:35 am

omg brought a tear to my eye that liver cos xena was the same when i first rescued her :2445:

what i did was constantly went to the front door picked her lead up and wen she freaked out at that min i sat down and carried on doing wat i was doing then wen she sat looking at me shocked i got up did it again i would also constanly move the leads around so she got used to the fact she didnt always get out wen i picked a lead up * my others are really good they just sit by the door as they dont always go on the lead (i dont mean rd walking lol)*

this worked with me but not with everyone eles she would still freak out so we did the cesar thing and claimed the space ect, so as soon as he starts march him away from the door and carry on with tilly he will try to instantly come back march him off again poking his side as a correction this will take a while to kick in but do it right and you will have sorted it in no time wen you march him away stand over him for a sec till he is completly still then move away

does this make sence lol x
    Back to top Go down
    liverbird
    Admin
    Admin
    liverbird

Female
    Number of posts : 15537
    Rep : 31
    Registration date : 2009-01-08

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 10:01 am

how to teach.... 867525 thanks hun :love: i will give it a go how to teach.... 729386
    Back to top Go down
    http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
    Kari

Kari

Female
    Number of posts : 113

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:17 pm

Lexus got a problem with cats, he hates them, and I'm sure he would kill one if he got the chance. It's not a problem when we're visiting people with cats, or on our walks anymore. The problem is in his fenced part of the garden, where the neighbours cats like to hang out..
    If I'm outside with him, i can stop him by shouting NO, but i need to do so before he's at the full blown aggression state, if my NO is to late, he'll go after them anyway. then he usually doesn't notice me before I'm grabbing him from behind and tell him to get his ass back inside.

Usually I'll go outside to check for cat's before i let him out, but the damn cats seem to enjoy being chased, because they keep coming back. he gets to chase them almost every day. He has stopped making sounds when he goes after them, now it's a silent attack.

Our other neighbours keep telling me to let him kill the cats. because the owners doesn't look after them. and the male cat isn't neutered and he's peeing all over the neighbourhood.
    Back to top Go down
    http://www.freewebs.com/lexus-gsd/
    Sandra
    Admin
    Admin
    Sandra

Female

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:22 pm

GR8GSD wrote:
    omg brought a tear to my eye that liver cos xena was the same when i first rescued her :2445:

what i did was constantly went to the front door picked her lead up and wen she freaked out at that min i sat down and carried on doing wat i was doing then wen she sat looking at me shocked i got up did it again i would also constanly move the leads around so she got used to the fact she didnt always get out wen i picked a lead up * my others are really good they just sit by the door as they dont always go on the lead (i dont mean rd walking lol)*

this worked with me but not with everyone eles she would still freak out so we did the cesar thing and claimed the space ect, so as soon as he starts march him away from the door and carry on with tilly he will try to instantly come back march him off again poking his side as a correction this will take a while to kick in but do it right and you will have sorted it in no time wen you march him away stand over him for a sec till he is completly still then move away

does this make sence lol x

how to teach.... 729386 this worked a treat for Misty, I was told to do as Fazza said, it didn't take long until she realised, :san2: or no walk
    Back to top Go down
    Judes
    Admin
    Admin
    Judes

Female
    Number of posts : 11943
    Rep : 37

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 4:23 pm

GR8GSD wrote:
    ok we have a few trainers on here and experienced ppl so i thought we would start a thread to help ppl teach certain exercises wat ever they may be.

so id like to know wat is the biggest prob you guys have and i hope that a lot of us will give our ideas and hope to help :love:

everyone join in as all answers are welcome

emmmmm where would you like me to start with Marley!!! how to teach.... 434936 how to teach.... 434936 how to teach.... 434936 how to teach.... 434936

My main problem with Marley is he goes berzerk when he sees other dogs but only when he is on the lead and the other one is he detests horses!! theres a few more but these two will do for starters!! how to teach.... 434936 how to teach.... 434936 how to teach.... 434936 how to teach.... 434936
    Back to top Go down
    Sponsored content

how to teach.... Empty
    PostSubject: Re: how to teach....   how to teach.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

how to teach....
    Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next