Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
another interesting cross posted thread Vote_lcapanother interesting cross posted thread Voting_baranother interesting cross posted thread Vote_rcap 
Sandra
another interesting cross posted thread Vote_lcapanother interesting cross posted thread Voting_baranother interesting cross posted thread Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

another interesting cross posted thread

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-28

another interesting cross posted thread Empty
PostSubject: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:36 pm

prey drive....gsd pup

it makes another interesting read im sure fazbo will enjoy another interesting cross posted thread 729386

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/forum/8182.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:43 pm

I could go on and on all day with this topic alone. First I would like to say that malinois and gsd are very different breeds, they not only mature faster but are usually very high prey driven and quite eager to please. They do learn extremely fast but it all depends on the individual dog... I have seen very quick and high prey driven gsds before. As for your puppy having low drives. That seems very possible (haven't seen it but the way you describe him) I too imprint all obedience very young and with food. No food drive then I have alot more problems. I personally wouldn't buy a dog in the first place if it didn't have high food and prey drive but I have seen many people who do well with what they had (usually because they had the dog before getting into sports, etc.) I am assuming you have a trainer that knows what they are doing.... use as many resources as possible, other GSD owners, club members, your trainer, internet, books, etc. If you plan on keeping this dog and doing protection sports with him the prey has to be there, even if it is a low drive you can build. Frustration!!!!

I keep my dogs in crates so they know when they are out its time to work. I do not allow my dogs to be pet by people but have them around as many people as possible. I do not want them to seek affection from anyone other than myself. I do not want them overly aggressive towards an individual who is non threatening and I do not want them timid around them either. I take my dogs to as many places as possible and introducing all kinds of sounds, smells, distractions, environments as possible to be sure they are confident and view everything in a positive manner. I tease the crap out of them while they are in their crates with toys so when they come out they are so ready to grab that tug and hold on for dear life. I do not show affection or feed until work has been done. Again I could go on and on with details but these are just some ideas for you. There are plenty of ways to build. You just have to ask yourself what degree of drive are you looking to have? How far do you want to go with his training? Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions. Hope this has helped and good luck

🤔 🤔 🤔

I'm still reading, just got that post :2445:
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Bloody hell, they make Mimi sound crazy and she isnt.......
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:47 pm

:2431: great read isnt it
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:50 pm

I love that, keep your dog in a crate unless you want to do something with it. I find that bad enough with birds, nevermind dogs....
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:50 pm

Oh, and dont forget to tease it too :2222:
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:53 pm

theyre hardcore arent they :san42:

i read one where the person was saying that the pup bites and barks at them when it is reprimanded....

the posters were jealous of the drive and sassiness of the pup :2431:
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:57 pm

:2445: :2445: :2445:

I suppose if I wanted those kind of drives, I would be jealous that my dog didnt have them, but I dont :2445:
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeSun Sep 13, 2009 10:59 pm

yea thats true :2445: ..... theyre crazy mother feckers though... lol...
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
Rep : 15

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 11:16 am

i get sooo f**king mad wen ppl compare a mali to a GSD its like comparing a lab to a golden they are diff dogs!

i want crazy ass drives kiera is very high in prey drive and high in defence too so is a nice mix, Rostam has a EXTREME prey and defence drive but again a great dog but not a pet.

a lot of show PPl from what i have been told by trainers ect have high prey in their dogs but not so much defence *all dogs have a defence drive but its watered down in most*

i tease my dogs loads lol that training i tie them up and aggitate them, for lots of training aspects but they always win the toy in the end for it

you can go on forever about this kind of thing but IMO a dog with a good prey drive is a more trainable dog, thats why also from a trainers point of view a lot of pet ppl have issues with training their dogs, as if you have a nice prey drive your dog wants that toy more then ANYTHING! In the world so their focus is on you always..
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:43 pm

:2431: ....i must look for more threads to get you going faz another interesting cross posted thread 729386
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:47 pm

another interesting cross posted thread 956725 i dont have a clue wat your going on about another interesting cross posted thread 923243
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 7:57 pm

:san42: :san42: :san42:
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:00 pm

another interesting cross posted thread 59176 havent a nugget....
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:01 pm

:2222: okay....

*goes off to find her stirring stick*
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:07 pm

another interesting cross posted thread 893151 another interesting cross posted thread 893151 another interesting cross posted thread 893151 another interesting cross posted thread 893151
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: another interesting cross posted thread   another interesting cross posted thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

another interesting cross posted thread
Page 1 of 1