Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Similar topics
Latest topics
» Anybody here
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
cutting a dogs nails Vote_lcapcutting a dogs nails Voting_barcutting a dogs nails Vote_rcap 
Sandra
cutting a dogs nails Vote_lcapcutting a dogs nails Voting_barcutting a dogs nails Vote_rcap 
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

cutting a dogs nails

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-28

cutting a dogs nails Empty
PostSubject: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 10:12 pm

Dogs nails grow just like ours and need to be trimmed. Alot of dogs naturally wear their nails down out walking or playing especially on hard surfaces. If nails are not trimmed it can become very painful for your dog. Long nails also are prone to splitting causing bleeding and infections.
A good way to tell if your dogs nails are to long is when they walk on a hard surface and can hear the nails clicking on the ground.
The correct length of your dogs nails should be so they do not protrude over the pad, when the dog stands the nail should not touch the ground. Its best to trim their nails once or twice a month.
When cutting the nails the best tool is a guillotine type nail trimmer. Make sure you read the instructions. Let your dog familiarise itself with the tool as some dogs are afraid of it.
Your dogs rear claws are shorter and require less trimming.
Don't forget about your dogs dew claw on the inside of their front legs, these nails do not touch the ground so will not naturally wear down.
'The Quick'
The quick is blood vessels and nerves that live in the nail. Cutting it can cause pain, discomfort and bleeding. So you have to be careful not to cut it. Its easier to see the quick on lighter nails. When cutting darker nails you can use a light to find the quick or only cut small bits at a time, when you reach a dark spot this is where the quick starts. Its advised to cut 2mm from the quick.
If you accidentally cut the quick hold a tissue on it to try and stop the blood, bleeding should stop within 5 mins but if your dog licks the area this cause the healing to take longer try to distract your dog. The best way to stop the bleeding is to put some styptic power or pad onto it this will stop the bleeding very quick.
Maybe give the nails a file to smooth things off and then your finished and give your dog lots of praise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22

PostSubject: Re: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:17 pm

I only need to cut Misty's the other two seem to wear their's away
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:26 pm

fred and betty dont need theirs doing too often, they wear them away whilst out walking and in the garden..
Back to top Go down
Paula

Paula

Female
Number of posts : 5647
Rep : 4

PostSubject: Re: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:57 pm

I have to do Mimi's rear dew claws or they grow really long. I dont do any others though but I still make sure I could do if I needed to do.
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female

PostSubject: Re: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 pm

aww yea, i have to cut freds dew claws every couple of months, they can be quite sharp when he wants a cuddle and puts his paws on your shoulders lol
Back to top Go down
Judes
Admin
Admin
Judes

Female
Number of posts : 11943
Rep : 37

PostSubject: Re: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 5:18 pm

I get my friend to do Marleys cutting a dogs nails 434936 Im just too worried I cut too far down, she does them every couple of months for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cutting a dogs nails   cutting a dogs nails Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cutting a dogs nails
Page 1 of 1