Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDog ForumLatest imagesLog inRegister
Latest topics
» Anybody here
Mouthing Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2018 3:35 pm by Lorz

» Hello
Mouthing Icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2018 3:57 pm by Sandra

» Hello
Mouthing Icon_minitimeTue Sep 12, 2017 7:55 am by Lorz

» HAPPY CHRISTMAS
Mouthing Icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2017 7:11 pm by BrenA

» Billy The 8 Day Old Kitten
Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:42 pm by ladykati

» Fitzlandia ( Fan Forum)
Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Oct 28, 2016 9:31 pm by ladykati

» HELLO
Mouthing Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2016 10:57 pm by Lorz

» Latest piccies of my lot!
Mouthing Icon_minitimeThu Sep 01, 2016 12:34 am by Lorz

» Mickey & Keira Today
Mouthing Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:30 pm by BrenA

» Hello
Mouthing Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 6:27 pm by BrenA

» Bren
Mouthing Icon_minitimeSun Jun 05, 2016 8:44 pm by BrenA

» where is Bren then?
Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri May 13, 2016 1:08 pm by BrenA

» Jude
Mouthing Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 8:00 pm by BrenA

» Hi
Mouthing Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 5:51 pm by BrenA

» catch up!
Mouthing Icon_minitimeTue Feb 23, 2016 5:12 pm by SuzieB

» Bren
Mouthing Icon_minitimeWed Feb 03, 2016 4:56 am by Sandra

Congratulations

WELCOME TO DOGTALK COME IN AND JOIN THE FUN, WE DON'T BITE............
BUBBLES
Bubbles Has Been Moved
To THE New Games
Section, Under
Shelley's Loose Lips
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 306 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:31 pm
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
fredsmum
Mouthing Vote_lcapMouthing Voting_barMouthing Vote_rcap 
Sandra
liverbird
Judes
BrenA
GR8GSD
SUMMER
Paula
Lainee
slynico
Statistics
We have 489 registered users
The newest registered user is Andrew

Our users have posted a total of 144433 messages in 10074 subjects

Mouthing

Go down 
+3
Sandra
fredsmum
BrenA
7 posters
AuthorMessage
BrenA

BrenA

Female
Number of posts : 7509
Rep : 64
Registration date : 2009-01-17

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi everyone

Been really busy this week Mickey is settling in fine so far but i do have a problem that i would like some advice about Mickey is a lovely boy but has no manners whatsoever He constantly bites Keiras legs which really annoys her and causes her to tell him off He wants to play but its as if he doesnt know how to play nice He is however learning after being told off several times I have had to intervene a few times with the water spray bottle to stop things getting too heated It definately works on him Keira loves it tho and thinks its a game Typical one of each :2222: She loves him and is constantly pestering him to play and licking his face

Anyway the main problem is he mouths an awful lot which isnt good :nhy: and i want to stop it asap
Have any of you had this problem with an older puppy like Mickey who is 9 months old now and if so how did you stop him When Keira was a pup we grabbed her by the scruff of the neck and said a firm NO then when she got a bit bigger and would get over excited and nip the cat we would put the muzzle on her for a few minutes to calm her This worked a treat and she is a really good girl now never mouthing and if she gets over excited i only have to say the word muzzle or show her it and she calms down and behaves Well Mickey is a big lad and its a job to get his collar on never mind anything else We did buy a muzzle for him because i think he will need one when he goes to the vets and its always better to be safe than sorry
I havent put the muzzle on him and dont intend on doing this but i have tried the grabbing the back of the neck and in certain situations it has worked but on other occasions he has gone to retalliate Im wondering if this is the wrong way to go about it as he isnt a little pup He tends to do it to my OH an awful lot especially when he comes in from work which is just excitement he also does it for attention He was a real pain the other day constantly doing it while i was on the phone I have also started using the water spray which works well atm
He came into contact with the cat for the first time today and chased her barking I have been keeping them seperated just incase while he has been settling in He did actually see her once before when he was in his cage and he went mental barking Anyway the stupid cat decided she was coming downstairs Mickey was in the kitchen and saw her make a run into the frontroom He chased her barking into the conservatory and she went behind the sofa I closed the door and squirted him with water to calm him which worked I then stood by the door and let them look at each other He whined and barked a bit but nothing too bad each time he barked i said NO and gave him a squirt He then got fed up and went and lay down even altho the cat wanted into the lounge and kept clawing the glass So im hoping he isnt going to be that bad My cat is mental Mouthing 925943 im sure she thinks she is a gsd
But like i said the main problem is the mouthing that needs sorting btw he doesnt actually put any pressure on when he does it and its not malicious Feel free to give me any advice :ces:
Back to top Go down
fredsmum
Admin
Admin
fredsmum

Female
Number of posts : 31916
Rep : 48
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:58 am

i know what youre going through bren, fred was exactly the same Mouthing 729386 grabbing fred by the scruff never worked either, he would go to retaliate, but i havent the answer unfortunately, mo and zep got fred out of that when he boarded with them when we were on holiday, but we did stop all play that involved his mouth, and we stood up and turned our back on him when he did mouth us, as for the cat situation, that has been a long battle between fred and i lol, but hes slowly an i mean slowly getting the message :2431: ...

not been much help have i :nnnnnnnn:
Back to top Go down
http://www.shelleyisgod.com
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:44 am

Thanks Shelley yes Mo is going to ring me with some advice We were due to go over on Tuesday but couldnt get there in time for the training I rang her but she was in A&e so asked me to email my phone number and said she would call me back Think she said she had hurt her arm but couldnt hear properly as the line was quite bad Im going to email again this morning just incase she has forgotten He isnt too bad and does seem to be getting better obviously the people who had him before didnt teach him anything its a shame but he is slowly learning As for the cat i think it will be a slow process i just wish the cat wasnt so casual about it im hoping she senses that he is a wuss really Had to laugh this morning they were having a bit of a playfight and it was getting a bit rough with Mickey biting Keiras legs and her getting annoyed She had enough so bit him back on his front leg and he squealed and suddenly started limping looking sorry for himself Mouthing 925943 Typical male putting it on He was charging around again 2 minutes later
Back to top Go down
Sandra
Admin
Admin
Sandra

Female
Number of posts : 20040
Rep : 22

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 pm

I can't help much sorry, only had pups mouth never an older one, at least your trying to nip it before it becomes a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.dogtalk4us.com
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
Rep : 15

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 8:43 pm

hun thing with scruffing them even some as a pup is they may see it either as a game or with some dogs a challange

there is no one answer for this but will give you a few ideas see what works as one may work one time but not another

if he does it wen you come in just walk straight threw him ignoring him and do this till he calms down, he has to learn that he gets no attention unless he is calm and this is one way to do it. go and sit down if he comes over move away from him and do this until he gets the message.

another way is as shelley said but a lot of dogs will continue to jump and mouth if so you muct correct

another way is to confront it, if he mouths march him away and correct him at the same time *this may enduce more mouthing tho* so be prepared

and IMO a dog who mouths is also bored so i would get a toy and have a game then end it on your terms also a way to teach him how and wen to use his mouth

does any of this make sence lol
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 9:02 pm

:ces: Farah yes he does tend to do it when he gets excited especailly when my OH comes in from work so we have been calming him and getting him to sit before he gets any attention His behaviour does seem to be getting better and i think he is doing really well considering we havent had him a week yet Mo and Zep have said we can go over and use one of their fields to practice recall with him which will be great I told them i was a bit worried about offlead work just incase he does a runner It will make the job so much less stressful not worrying about him bolting and getting lost
Back to top Go down
GR8GSD

GR8GSD

Number of posts : 7339
Rep : 15

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:07 pm

its just a case of time and work hun you will get there with him i have no doughts :love:

hes just a big pup and may have been allowed to play rough ect so just needs to learn the ruels is all
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Yes i think your right fazza He is a big softy and is always coming over to me for a love Apparently his previous owner used to crate him all the time when she couldnt handle him which hasnt taught him anything They used a choke chain on him all the time which has worn his fur away around his neck He doesnt even pull that much either Mind you Zep has more than likely got him to that stage thru good training Mouthing 729386 You can see he is just a big baby especially when he gets tired Keira looks so alert and sensible next to him She has really come out of her shell which im really glad about I took her to training tonight and she kept looking for Mickey to follow Dont think id manage both :san41: :san41: OH did some training with Mickey while we were out and said he did really well I always wondered what Keira would do if she was ever attacked by a nasty dog because she is so friendly but i now know she would hopefully stick up for herself She hasnt taken any shit off Mickey and seems to have enjoyed putting him in his place which i think has boosted her confidence She is still a little sweetie tho who loves everyone you should have seen her kissing all the tiny pups from the puppy training class tonight :2286: They train before us and there were some real cuties in there tonight
Back to top Go down
kennym

kennym

Male
Number of posts : 2775
Rep : 7
Registration date : 2009-01-13

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 10:59 pm

Axle's sister only lives five doors from us and she still gets excited when she meets us or we pay a visit as well as getting a bit mouthy she usually pee's as well but after a few mins she's fine.
We have always been told if a pup is mouthy press ur thumb down on its tounge they dont like this and soon get the message(we use this a lot at training on pups)
as u cant have them mouthy in show ring as they have to have there teeth checked by judge
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:15 pm

:san22: Might lose my thumb using that method Kenny he is a big lad Have held his mouth shut today when he kept nipping Keira earlier and he didnt like that either went away and sulked for a minute They both decided they wanted to wrestle in the lounge so decided to put a stop to it Keira got warned with the muzzle which always works a treat and like i said i held his mouth shut for a second Its quite funny watching them tho body slamming each other Mouthing 925943 Keira is smaller but usually wins threw sheer determination It is like watching a pair of kids
Back to top Go down
kennym

kennym

Male

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:19 pm

:2445: :2445:
Back to top Go down
kennym

kennym

Male

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:22 pm

mo may have heard of this as i believe she is good friends with our current trainer
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:31 pm

Will mention it when i see her :ces:
Back to top Go down
kennym

kennym

Male

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:35 pm

oh forgot our trainer is MR JOE WHITE
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:37 pm

:2431: Sorry forgot to ask to involved in Bubbles :wqq:

Does he know Mo thru showing?
Back to top Go down
kennym

kennym

Male

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:39 pm

think they go back a long time hes a champ show judge , no dogs now though he only trains and judges and does a few seminars now and again
Back to top Go down
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2009 11:49 pm

Will mention him when i see her :san53: small world isnt it

even altho most people on this forum havent met alot of us know the same people Had to laugh at Zep when i mentioned Shelley he asked if there is anyone she doesnt know :san22:
Back to top Go down
kennym

kennym

Male

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:10 pm

did u manage to speak to mo yet
Back to top Go down
liverbird
Admin
Admin
liverbird

Female
Number of posts : 15537
Rep : 31
Registration date : 2009-01-08

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeSat Apr 18, 2009 11:27 pm

BrenA wrote:

even altho most people on this forum havent met alot of us know the same people Had to laugh at Zep when i mentioned Shelley he asked if there is anyone she doesnt know :san22:

:san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: PMSL
Back to top Go down
http://karenmillsgsd.synthasite.com
BrenA

BrenA

Female

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 12:42 am

No Kenny going over on Monday
Back to top Go down
Judes
Admin
Admin
Judes

Female
Number of posts : 11943
Rep : 37

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitimeSun Apr 19, 2009 2:22 pm

liverbird@home wrote:
BrenA wrote:

:san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: PMSL

:san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42: :san42:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mouthing Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mouthing   Mouthing Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mouthing
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: All About Dogs :: Dog Talk-
Jump to: